Criteria for the World CX Championships
The purpose of this of this post is to set out the selection process for Irish riders to compete in the 2022 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships in Fayetteville Arkansas, United States (29-30 January 2022) (website). The selection is open to riders in the following categories: Junior men, Junior women, Under 23 men, Under 23 women, Elite men and Elite women. Selection takes into account a rider’s domestic and international performances throughout the season and their commitment to cyclo-cross. Athletes must also adhere to Cycling Ireland’s anti-doping policies.
All selections are made by the Cycling Ireland Off-road Commission. The team will be selected on a discretionary basis by the selection panel. The selection panel will consider riders to be competitive at this level and who would also benefit from experiencing competition at this level. The panel may select fewer riders than the maximum number permitted under UCI rules should they not meet the desired selection criteria.
The selection panel will exercise its discretion fairly and without bias in making its final decision. If a selected rider is unable to compete for any reason, substitute selections will be at the discretion of the selection panel. There is no automatic selection, nor will any performance in one event or competition be a defining factor in selecting one rider over another.
THE NUMBER OF RIDERS SELECTED TO COMPETE WILL BE FINALISED AFTER THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. THIS IS DICTATED BY AVAILABLE BUDGETS AT THAT TIME AND MAY MEAN THAT RIDERS MEETING ALL OR SOME CRITERIA MAY NOT BE SELECTED.
A rider contribution of up to €200 will be required to make up for any potential short fall in the budget depending on the final number of riders to qualify. We don’t want a shortfall in budget to dictate whether or not qualified riders can attend if possible.
Riders wishing to be considered for selection to the World Cyclo-cross Championships must submit their cycling CV by close of play Monday 3 January 2022. An example CV is available here. CVs should be sent in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Riders must hold a current racing licence issued by Cycling Ireland or another federation affiliated with the UCI with the nationality marked as “IRELAND‟.
• Riders must have the flexibility to travel to the event perhaps up to 5 days in advance.
• In order to be considered for selection riders must have raced cyclo-cross outside of the island of Ireland between 17 September 2021 and 2 January 2022.
When making its selection, the panel will consider the following factors in any order.
• Any athlete finishing on the same lap of the winner in a World Cup CX or C1 event in season 2021/2022.
• Any athlete who gains UCI points between 17 September 2021 and 2 January 2022.
• National and international race performances in the period 17 September 2021 and 2 January 2022 which demonstrate evidence of a rider’s progression and development. The selection panel will take into account the age and experience of riders as well as the quality of fields in competition and the percentage of time behind the winner.